Canvas for Graduate Studies
Course sites will be available in Canvas for ‘building’ at the end of April/early May 2022.
What to Expect
- Graduate faculty will be responsible for backing up materials from Sakai and building their own course sites in Canvas.
- ITDP will send an email when courses are created and a reminder to Graduate faculty for any course site merge requests.
- Go to https://canvas.providence.edu/
- Log in with your Network ID and password (same as Sakai or Outlook)
- If you need your password reset, please contact email@example.com
- If you are already logged into Microsoft Outlook, your credentials should ‘pass through’ to Canvas.
- Course sites, including add/drop, will be managed by Banner’s enrollment system. You will not need to add or remove students from the roster manually.
Training and Resources
- Once you have logged into Canvas, you will have access to the Canvas Training Portal (found in the “Help” section).
- You should complete the self-paced Canvas training, “Higher Ed: First Day Ready“.
- LinkedIn learning also has a self-paced tutorial available, “Learning Canvas“.
Additional Canvas Resources
- The Canvas Community website is a great resource for all things Canvas. It includes guides, question forums, and troubleshooting resources.
- Training videos on Canvas are available here.
- For a detailed comparison between Sakai tools and Canvas tools, click here.
- For more information about Providence College’s transition to Canvas, visit: https://teaching-learning-tech.providence.edu/transition-to-canvas/
- For instructions on migrating your Sakai content to Canvas, click here.
- On April 20th, a two-part, synchronous, virtual training webinar will be hosted by Instructure’s Canvas Principal Learning Specialist. Registration spots are limited, but the training will be recorded for anyone unable to attend. Please register by 4/10.
- Wednesday 4/20/2022: 1-2:30 (Canvas Fundamentals Walkthrough)
- Wednesday 4/20/2022: 3-4:30 PM (Canvas Course Setup Workshop)
Resources for Teaching Online
- Click here for information about accessing the Blend by Design training program, a self-paced, online course about teaching hybrid/blended courses.
- Canvas Tier 1 support can be reached for live support by click the “Help” button in Canvas, and selecting “Chat with Canvas Support (for Faculty)”. Instructure’s chat support is available 24/7 to PC Faculty and Students.
- If none of the above avenues resolve your issue, or if you are not sure where to start, email CanvasHelp@Providence.edu to contact a member of the ITDP/IT team.